logo for Healey Law, an Edmonton law firm servicing clients in Family Law and Divorce, Separation, Real Estate transactions, Wills and Estates, Personal Injury and more.

FREE Introductory Consultations Available

(780) 439-7700

10530 110 St NW, Edmonton, AB T5H 3C5

Contact our Real Estate Conveyancer: (780) 932-0087 or (780) 439-7700 ext. 5

Contact Healey Law

(780) 439-7700

10530 110 St NW, Edmonton, AB T5H 3C5

Contact our Real Estate Conveyancer:
(780) 932-0087 or (780) 439-7700 ext. 5

Power of Attorney

If you are incapacitated by illness of injury, your wishes can still be followed if there is a Power of Attorney for Personal Care, also known as a Living Will.


photo of a sick patient in Edmonton requiring iv

Understanding the importance of a Power of Attorney or “Living Will”

Most people assume that they will be in full control of their lives right up to the point that they die. Or they assume that death will come very quickly. But this is often not the case.

There may be a period, extending over several months or even years, when you are alive but are no longer willing or able to make important decisions about your life. This is why it is so important to speak with Edmonton estates lawyer Jonathan Healey about the set up of a Power of Attorney for Property and a Power of Attorney for Personal Care, also known as Living Wills.

A Power of Attorney for Property specifies who will make decisions about your property while a Power of Attorney for Personal Care specifies who will make decisions about your healthcare. The individual given this responsibility should be a person you trust to make decisions that are in your best interest. They are often family members, but not always. They should be chosen while you have a clear mind and they should understand your wishes. For example, they should know what assets should be sold to fund your healthcare, if necessary, and they should know your wishes in terms of life support and resuscitation.

No Power of Personal Care?

If you are incapacitated and don’t have a Power of Attorney for Personal Care, relatives and family members do not have the legal right to take control of your care. Medical staff at the care facility have that right, but they typically don’t take any action until they have consulted with family members. The problem is that family members may have very different ideas about what to do, leading to significant stress and bad feelings – one more reason why it is so important to have a Power of Attorney for Personal Care.

Complete or limited Powers of Attorney

Powers of Attorney can have certain limitations. You also have the option of instructing that they take effect the moment they are signed or when you become incapacitated.

Healey Law has extensive experience developing limited and unlimited Powers of Attorney for Property and Personal Care. See what’s right for you by requesting a no-obligation introductory consultation today.

See how much you know about estate planning by taking this quick quiz

What happens if there are some provisions in your Will for your spouse, but you divorce that spouse prior to your death?

The provisions become invalid.

What is the difference between an Administrator and an Executor?

An Administrator is the person appointed to administer the estate of a person who died without a Will; an Executor is the person who you select to administer your estate following your death.

What new law was introduced in Alberta in 2012 to specify how and to whom property is transferred when a person dies?

The The Wills and Succession Act, introduced in February 1, 2012.

Why settle for anything less from a solicitor you find in an Edmonton lawyer directory? Get started now by requesting a FREE, no-obligation introductory consultation. You can reach our law office by phone or online.

Healey Law Legal Team

photo of Jonathan Healey, Edmonton lawyer, a trusted attorney for a wide variety of clients seeking a top law firm in the Edmonton lawyer directory with positive lawyer reviews and offering reasonable legal fees for solicitor advice and services


Jonathan Healey

photo of Kathleen Nielsen, Family Lawyer at Healey Law in Edmonton, Alberta


Kathleen Nielsen



Ready to hire a lawyer in a top law office listed in the Edmonton lawyer directory? See why your search for legal services should end with Edmonton lawyer Jonathan Healey.



Over 30 years of experience in Family Law, Divorce and Separation, Uncontested Divorce, Common Law, Real Estate and Wills & Estates.



Not sure about fees for legal services or what to pay for legal advice from a top Edmonton law firm? Ask us for a consultation with Edmonton lawyer Jonathan Healey.

logo for Healey Law of Edmonton

Main Office: (780) 439-7700

Real Estate Conveyancer: (780) 932-0087

10530 110 St NW, Edmonton, AB T5H 3C5